Sunday, October 31, 2004

When travelling abroad...

For better or for worse, I've started seeing a beautiful Czech girl named Vendula. For worse, for sure, I'm running out of time... and it's making me very sad. Prague really should have a motto: "come for the beer, stay for the women."

And once again, life is chaos and pain and beauty....

"about time," did you say? You there in the back. I heard that. No passing of notes, please.

I've been writing, let's put that here. Clearly not web log entries - I've been writing music. I've got one about the elusive and offensive future:

Decision in front of you
Delay just another day
The future is such a mess
And besides, you know it doesn't exist anyway

And a much shorter one that needs expanding upon:

Well the voices speak the same
I'm going down in flames
For Czech girls with english-sounding names

My Czech has become slowly passable. Comprehension is still pretty low unless I ask for repition, (opakujete, prosim) but I'm more and more able to make myself understood without the helpless shrug and reversion to English. Although I'm still a little ticked off that I know the word for cauliflower but did not until last week know the word for "now."

The boys down at Propaganda are really funny kids. "We're going to speak to you in Czech from now on. It'll be good for you," they say. It's nice to be accepted like this, especially as a stranger in a strange land. Gives me some sort of hope for humanity. Or something.

More hope: I saw John Zogby on the Daily Show predicting that Kerry would win... I'm personally planning on a night of nervous drinking in front of CNN (mom, you didn't hear that).

I heard someone say that we're really two nations now, voting against each other. It's something that I've been thinking for some time, and it was interesting to hear someone give voice to the idea. It amazes me that the Christian Church and the groups that have grown up around it still have such a firm grip on the power structure of the world. I mean, isn't that really what democracy was designed to side-step? Ok, that statement's a little grandiose, but when you see the studies where a majority of Bush supporters still believe in Iraqi WMDs/ties to Al Queda, you gotta wonder just where they're getting their information....

Ok, comments: who's actually talked to a Bush supporter lately? Speak up in the comments section.

Miss you all, and California, and I really don't want to come home.



No comments: